Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Family Forever

The first night with my host family
One of my main concerns in coming to Ghana was how my host family would be. Would they be like family at home? Would they treat me as a daughter or as an American stranger? Well once I got to the family I had nothing to worry about. I have four host sisters, 3 dogs and a mom and dad. My family is loving and caring. I feel so relaxed and at home. I can be crazy and laugh out loud. More importantly, I feel like a gained another family, people that I can trust and ready to share new things with me. Not having any sisters it was important to me to have a strong relationship with them. The older sister Tina and I are around each other all the time. She is 18 and loves art and dreams of coming to America to go to school and work. A special moment with me and her was when she was trying to teach me to wash. That experience for me was different and crazy for me. I looked a fool trying to wash and she would just laugh.  I was washing the same shirt for almost ten minutes as she went 100 miles a minute on her clothes. I told her my way of washing was the American way. After washing we had a huge water fight!! It was so fun! I am texting and calling her everyday since we moved to Cape Coast. To me she is not just my host sister but family and forever a part of my life.

Making bread with my family for the store

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jaira

    I am glad to see that you getting along with your family. Now you know what is like to wash your own clothes because you are used to having your laundry done for you. So does mean you will be doing your own laundry now!!!! lol

    love Mommy

    ReplyDelete