Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Host Family Love, Traffic in Accra, & Friendship - :) from Ghana


Sophia getting picked up by her host mom at the University of Ghana, our orientation site.

So I'm in Ghana and everything is going GREAT!!! We are all having fun with each other despite the difficulties that we all faced during our trip. I haven't spoken to some of the people in my group during my high school career but this trip has brought us closer in many ways. We have mostly been bonding with our host families, and doing community service. During the trip I have eaten different foods such as Banko, Foo Foo, and Gari. The traffic is very difficult to get through in the morning and afternoon, and for transportation I would have to take a form of transportation called the TRO TRO. My host family is very loving I have two sisters named Benua, and Araba, I have a brother named Yoofi and he is the oldest. My host mother is also very loving and intelligent. She is also very cool on the social aspect. My host dad is a very liberated man, he is a big fan of Kwame Nkrumah. Kwame was the former Prime Minister of Ghana. Even though I am having a great time with everyone I miss my family most of all, Mom, Lydia, Ashley, Akim, I love you and I will be back home soon. :) !!!!

Sophia in a taxi...
...and on the AFS bus...
...before braving the tro-tro!
Sophia and Gianni - teamwork at the Adenta Community School painting project!






4 comments:

  1. Sophia,
    I love these pictures and your words. It really sounds like you are taking this experience in with open arms and an open mind. Can you say hello to all the SLJ crew for me? I look forward to reading more blog entries. Gianni, I have a feeling that you are taking on a maternal leadership role. Your group is lucky to have you as a leader. Sophia, I bet you are cracking jokes with Marisa (one s) and keeping the mood up when people start to get homesick or hit a rough patch. David, I have a feeling that you are asking a million and one questions. I love how you are full of wonder. V-train, something tells me that you are the most fearless one there. I have a feeling you are willing to try any new experience. Jaira, you are probably the constant of the group. You are always there and always ready to go (while chompin' on gum). Elmer, you are probably one of Ms. Orman's go to people. You are responsible, patient, and level headed and I bet that has paid off a few times on this trip. Marisa, I bet you are gathering material for your next book. I also have a feeling that you and Jerome go back and forth a lot. Jerome, you are probably soaking this all in like a sponge. You are one of the deep thinkers of the group and your presence is probably felt at all times. Big L, in the pictures, you always have someone on your shoulders. Remember that in a figurative sense too. I bet your leadership in the group is felt at every moment. Also, I need to see a picture of your host brothers to see if they are as big as you described them. Last but not least, AO. Something makes me think that you are the only person on this planet who could have guided this group and helped them have the experience they are. I can't wait to read more, look at pictures, and talk to each of you when you come back. Somebody let me know how accurate my guesses above are. Take care and have fun. -Mr. Lupher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms Orman's Mom-MartyJuly 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM

    Sophia, your photos, the description of your host family, the city you are trying to navigate, and your natural feelings of homesickness remind me of my daughter. You know her as Ms Orman. She was on a similar journey at your age and she has taken those experiences and turned them into a vocation. It changed her life as it will change yours.
    I wish the best to all of you. I know from my daughters experience you will come back home stronger and wiser. Travel safely,
    Ms Orman's Mom - Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie,

    Words can not express how proud I am of all of you guys. Sophie as we sit and look at your pictures and read your post we can't help but to hold back tears of joy because we know that you will be home very soon to tell us alllll about your trip. We love and miss you dearly.
    Love
    Mommy,Lydia,Ashley,Akim xoxoxo
    p.s. mom is crying again (side eye) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great, Sophia! Thanks for sharing! You are going to take this experience with you and learn so much more about life + yourself. So proud of your community services and your bravery stepping into a new world. So proud of you! God Bless you, your host family + everyone on this journey with you.

    Hugs and Kisses!
    -Jackson

    ReplyDelete